Monday, April 3, 2017

A Penny for Your Thoughts? A Book Review. Mer


Hello! And welcome to my second book review!

I choose a graphic novel for this review. As always for my disclaimer click here. I had a couple of ARCs to get through, but this one undoubtedly was the read I enjoyed most. Let's get started then.

I give this 4 pennies  out of 5(for sheer potential)

Mer is written by Joelle Sellner and illustrated by Abby Boeh, it's publishing date is set for April 19, 2017. The first sentence of it's description states that this story is like Twilight meeting Atlantis. I have always had a weak spot for anything mer-related so I was quickly drawn to it's description.

First of all, let's talk about that cover guys! I mean if that cover doesn't draw you in then the description will:

Twilight meets the legend of Atlantis in this gripping graphic novel from writer Joelle Sellner and artist Abby Boeh. After the death of her beloved mother, Aryn’s father has moved her family to a new town hoping for a fresh start. At first things seem to be going well—Aryn is making friends and has even caught the eye of one of the hottest guys in school. But there are dark forces moving under the surface that Aryn cannot see; and her new crush may not be … human.

The premise of the story is an interesting one, and I'm a sucker for all that American High School drama (sue me!). At times I was confused by sections of the plot, but the author brought me back to the main theme. Hopefully some of that will be cleared up by the time the finished product is published, if not by the next issue. Which brings me to the next issue with this, is it going to be a series or a one-off graphic novel? The ending was vague at best, which I hope means there is gooing to be other novels. This has the potential to grow into a great series, it has room to flesh out and ther is a world we have yet to explore (spoiler but maybe not: Atlantis!). I am looking forward to learning more about the mer and their world.

The art, it is time to address it! Abby adds so much personality to all of the characters in her illustrations. The best part is their expressions, they are either hilarious or make me sad (you'll see at one point with Aryn and Adrian.. read: before the ending). The colors are also something to look towards. The colors used for each scene and character goes with the general theme of the story or the personality of said character.

I definitely would recommend this if you love graphic novels or anything mermaid. What is your favorite graphic novel?


Con Amor,
Yaris  




No comments :

Post a Comment